Written by Mrs. Deborah Balosibina, a Children Evangelism Minister in Abuja, Nigeria.
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it – Proverbs 22:6
And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children. In righteousness shall thou be established: thou shall be far from oppression; for thou shall not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee – Isaiah 54:13-14
According to Lami Chinke, “If raising children were to be easy, it wouldn’t have started with something called ‘Labour’”. To raise means to cause to rise, to lift, to elevate, to bring up, to grow or to promote. In raising godly children, parents need to be firm, fair and fun. Raising children is a task, and must be done deliberately to God’s glory. Many of us of the older generation did a lot of things in ignorance, because we only did what we thought we know.
Areas to Raise our Children
- We must train them spiritually (in God’s Word): Don’t only demonstrate Godly character, teach it at home, family altar, and every given opportunity. Get them interested in the things of God. Lead them to the Saviour as early as possible (Deuteronomy 6:6-9; Proverbs 2:1-13).
- Discipline: It simply means allow them to act within the rules. God is our perfect example in Hebrew 12:5-11, introduce wise and various discipline for the sake of character development. Our discipline should be that of corrective measure. Discipline helps them to face whatever situation they find themselves in life. Discipline is for life and eternal destiny. When you spare the rod, you spoil the child (Proverbs 13:24).
The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother – Proverbs 29:15
Note the following:
- Never discipline in anger
- Discipline should be equal
- Discipline should be consistent
- Discipline creates intimacy instead of distance
- Don’t provoke your children to anger (Colossians 3:21)
- Know your children (Jeremiah 1:5; Psalms 139:1)
- Teach, prepare, develop and give direction
- Train them physically: Teach them morals and home duties
- Train them financially: They should be taught to give account of money received and spent. Teach them to give tithe at this early stage (Matthew 25:14-30)
- Train them academically: “Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for today”. Be alert and serious about their studies.
Teach them every aspect of life, because it all counts towards building them for a successful future. Also teach them to love themselves (very important).
The Christian home is the target of the enemy. So you must be vigilant, watchful and prayerful. Parenting is about raising successful children. Work on your marriage, love your spouse, and let the children see and know it; make it practical. Don’t ever think of divorce, but always show love to your spouse.
To be continued…
Very instructive and on point.God bless you sir/ma.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Amen and Amen! Thanks for the comment. If this article blessed you, please kindly share with others. God bless you.
LikeLiked by 1 person